Saturday, February 18, 2012

Partial Embossing with the Framed Tulips Folder (tutorial)


First, you have to do this with a card that opens along it's shorter side; so you start with a sheet of card stock (CS) cut to 4 1/4" x 11" for a standard A2 card or 4" x 12" to make a 4" x 6" card (these fit easily into business-size envelopes).   Score the CS in the middle to create the card blank.  You'll place the long edge of the embossing folder across the front of the card.



Next, and most importantly, emboss the top row of tulips first.  When you place the CS into the folder, be sure the edge of the CS is lined up precisely with the points of the tulips on BOTH edges of the folder.  This is the trick to getting the embossing straight.   


I'm usually pretty good (I think) at getting things square, but until I realized this I was making some really crooked embossing.




In order to emboss only the front of the card, not the back, turn the handle so that the first edge of the folder goes all the way through the rollers, then stop and turn the handle in the opposite direction and the platform and everything will back out of the machine.   Embossing twice like this won't make any difference to the appearance of the pattern.




Finally, take the CS out of the folder, turn it around, and emboss the bottom row of tulips.   This time, you just have to eyeball the straightness of the folder, but you now have the first row of tulips to use as a guide.   Making sure the edge of the folder looks parallel to the first row of embossing is much easier than trying to guess at a 90° angle between the CS and the folder.   Wilma suggests adhering the DSP at this stage, before embossing the second line of tulips which will make getting the second line straight very easy.   I was more concerned with getting the second line the same distance from the bottom of the card as the top line was from the top of the card, then I cut my DSP to fit.   Either way works  :)

  


Hope this helps.   This is my first attempt at an online tutorial like this, questions and constructive criticism are appreciated!

17 comments:

Holly Denghel said...

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing!!!

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Yep...as Holly said...positively Brilliant! Thanks for sharing the process...I was going nuts trying to figure out how the card you sent was done. Well...also going nuts trying to figure out who sent me the gorgeous card as there was no indication or postmark. Made my day though to receive such a fun and intriguing, not to mention creative jewel.

Buffy said...

Great tutorial, Linda, and very easy to follow! Thanks.

Melanie said...

Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial!! I wondered how you did that!

Darrah said...

So cool, I understood this. I am usually pretty dense. Now what card can I use that on in April? Hmmmm. I live to CASE.

Created by Kath said...

Thanks for sharing the instructions and tips!

Debbie Martin said...

Love it, great job! I see it in my ladies future technique class. Thanks.

Kristi Wilson said...

Great job, Linda! Love the look and your easy to follow instructions!

Elaine said...

Great card and great tutorial, Thanks for sharing

Chris K said...

Wonderful explanation! Thanks for sharing.

Barbara Dykhouse said...

Your instructions were very clear! Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

Great tutorial! I just made my first one, too. Don't stop!

Lynn said...

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! Cannot wait to try this!

LeAnne said...

I never thought of doing this....what a wonderful trick! TFS!

witchywoman54 said...

omg thank you!

STAMPING SAM said...

Thinking outside the embossing folder - I like it! I've pinned this on my Pinterest board 'Cardies'. thanks!

http://pinterest.com/woodujim/

- - Sheryl - - said...

fabulous! thanks for sharing another way to use our folders.